Magnetic tape filesystem

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Sun Feb 8 20:54:06 CST 2015

On 2/8/2015 6:28 PM, jwsmobile wrote:

> On 2/8/2015 6:03 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>>>
>>> Wasn't there at least one which used good ol' VHS video tape as the
>>> storage medium? And by good, I mean bad.
>>
>> Yeah, I had one of those--just an ISA card with some connectors. It
>> was S-L-O-W and not terribly reliable.  I don't recall who made it.
>>
>> --Chuck
>>

> Alpha Micro made a card that did backups to VHS.
>
> Corvus had a thing called the bank, and I think they also had a gizmo
> to do the tape backup to video tape.  The Bank device was just a
> product they did for whatever reason.
>
> I have a case of Bank tapes somewhere and a backup device.  The
> interface was a Corvus network connection.
>
> Jim

Following up with a link to some book with a reference about AMOS tape
backup:

https://books.google.com/books?id=F-Y0wdIIucgC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=alpha+micro+tape+backup&source=bl&ots=_nIdK-gVGt&sig=UumslEVY2al_ArQrqWt8Zo2deXk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-B_YVKf9CY7xoATU0IHgAg&ved=0CHkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=alpha%20micro%20tape%20backup&f=false

Not sure how to get this mangled mess thru to people from the google
books link, but here is the search and the book reference:

alpha micro tape backup

"Encyclopedia of Microcomputers: Volume 1 - Access Methods to Assembly
Language and Assemblers",  Allen Kent, James G. Williams October 1, 1987

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9780824727000

And a monument to the ridiculous way that books are priced, CRC
publishing wants $306.90US for a copy.

thanks
Jim