imitation game movie

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 10 05:33:46 CST 2015

On 2015-Feb-10, at 2:39 AM, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 05:12:03AM -0500, Charles E. Fox wrote:
>>
>>        When Hollywood handles a story strange things happen. We are
>> lucky they mentioned
>> Bletchley Park at all.
>
> Indeed, the movie "Enigma" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157583/) didn't
> include Turing at all.

I haven't seen the Imitation Game, but did view the trailer and what I saw there left me with the sense while it might be fine as entertainment, the historical inaccuracies would be annoying.

Maybe I shouldn't judge too much by the trailer but it left the impression it was going to be dramatised along the stereotypical lines of the 'solitary-brilliant-genius-battling-alone-against-the-dumb-officious-bureaucrats-who-would-never-understand-what-he-was-doing' (to get the Bombes constructed). I'm rather skeptical that was at all accurate to the way things transpired.

As I recall, Enigma was different in that it wasn't trying to be an historic docu-drama, it was just using Bletchley and WWII code-breaking for the setting of a fictional story.