imitation game movie

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:11:20 CST 2015

Delay Lines have been used as storage in a number of UK designed computers..

Whilst not "Ultra Fast" the Ferranti Pegasus used delay lines as main store. There is a (not very good) picture of the board here:-

http://www.ourcomputerheritage.org/F3%20Pegasus%20nickel%20delay%20line.htm

If I remember properly the Pegasus ran at 333Khz and was clocked off the drum, to ensure everything synced with the drum. Being a serial machine this was ideal storage...

The ESDAC at Cambridge used mercury delay lines which were faster but reputedly less reliable......

... more recently (but still a long time ago in Computing) Manchester Universities MU5 used a plated wire store system, which was "fast"

http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/about-us/history/mu5/

and scroll down to "Instruction Accessing". I remember been shown this towards the end of MU5's life...

.. so we did develop fast, if not "ultra fast"  re-circulating memory....
.. its just it was more expensive than core and more expensive that DRAM...

Dave Wade
G4UGM