Crowdfunding for history book

Steve Algernon salgernon at me.com
Wed Feb 11 18:26:53 CST 2015

> On Feb 11, 2015, at 2:34 PM, js at cimmeri.com wrote:
>
>>> Why should people PAY you to write a book?
>> Because otherwise it may never be written. Who else will do it?
>
> That begs the question as to whether it really needs doing it all.

One of my favorite books, and one that I return to year after year, is 'Hackers' by Steven Levy.  I read this book in high school in the 80s and it helped set my life direction. I'm not alone - I think there was an article about John Carmack being influenced by it as well, and when I was interviewing a few years ago, the founder of the company I visited also called out the book  "Have you read this!?".  I'm glad that book was written. Would / could Evan's be as seminal?

> Point taken, but I found the tone of Evan's message (and others of his recently) to be overly self-aggrandizing and whiny at the same time.   If he's going to post in a public forum, the forum is entitled to have its reactions.   I'm not asking anyone else to agree with or share in my reaction.

We're all aspies on this bus...

I think this project could be more successful if it had more concrete promises, or allowed a view into its creation.  I've backed and been pleased by the results of several book efforts on Kickstarter, all of which provided incremental updates.

--sma