Rich kids are into COBOL

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Feb 17 19:59:53 CST 2015

On 02/17/2015 02:39 PM, ben wrote:

> Was FORTRAN portable or did most jobs fit only the large mainframes at
> the time?

Actually, it was entirely possible to write portable programs in any
FORTRAN IV or later system.  Note that this included *DECIMAL* machines
as well as non-ASCII, non-byte addressable machines.  As far as I know,
C doesn't exist for decimal machines.

Somewhere, I've got a Pascal compiler written in FORTRAN.

It was very usual on non-number-crunching portable programs to see:

     INTEGER ICSET(80)
     COMMON /CHARSET/ ICSET

     READ 100, ICSET
100 FORMAT( 80A1)

Or something similar.  The purpose is to get the basic character set
defined that you'll be using, so the first input card would have the
letters and numbers of the character set in a particular order.

--Chuck