What resolution should I scan a missing print set at?

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 20 18:49:58 CST 2015

On 19/02/15 01:33, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Hi all, I have a PDP-11 print set (MP00196, M9301 Bootstrap/Terminator) which
> is not online. I wish to scan my copy, and donate the scan to all the
> repositories.  What resolution should I scan it at?
>
> I looked at a couple that are available as TIFFs, and they claim to be 600 dpi
> - that can't be right, is it? If it is, no problem, I'm happy to do it at that
> resolution, but I just don't want to do silly overkill.

I'm a few days behind on my reading, but I'll chip in anyway.

I'd vote for 600dpi B&W G4 encoded. As has been said, these days disk
space is cheap and bandwidth is readily available.

Anyone who wanted 300dpi for some reason  could (in principle)
post-process to achieve that. Going the other way
only ever happens on CSI :-)

Antonio
arcarlini at iee.org