RA81 removal

Roe Peterson roeapeterson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:56:52 CST 2015

> On Feb 22, 2015, at 11:36 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> From a while back:
>
>> From: Noel Chiappa
>
>> What's odd is that RL0x's use almost identical (maybe they are
>> identical) slides
>
> So I recently happened to be doing some stuff in the basement, and I compared
> the DEC part numbers on the RA81 slides and some RL02 slides I have, and
> ... they are indeed the same part number!
>
>> but on the RLOx's, there _is_ (I think) a way to take the drive out
>> without undoing screws; there's a little latch at the very front of the
>> slide, and it looks like if one trips that latch, the rail along the
>> side of the drive case will slide out out of the slides.
>
> I have yet to try this and see if the RL0x's will in fact slide out - does
> anyone happen to know if RL0x's can be slid out?

You can slide them all the way out to the maintenance position, but if you want to remove the drive from the rack completely, there are two screws on each side that must be removed.  It's a bit tricky, the screws in question are only visible if the drive is slightly back from the full forward position.