Comptometer

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Feb 22 18:24:47 CST 2015

--On February 22, 2015 at 11:25:51 PM +0000 Lawrence Wilkinson
<ljw-cctech at ljw.me.uk> wrote:

> Posting the message below for a non-subscriber (thanks to Bruce
> Damer) - please reply to Patricia Gray at the email below.
>
> And here is the Digibarn's Comptometer Page:
> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/calculators/comptometer/
>
> Lawrence
>
> ===
>
> I have what I think is a model J comptometer - but the red or white
> key in the upper right hand corner of the number keys is missing part
> of itself.
>

> We bought it at the San Jose Flea Market, sometime before 1987, when
> my husband died, but the local museum here has a bunch of them and no
> room for more.
>
> Thanks.  Patricia Gray, Montrose Colorado
>   pbggray at gmail.com
>
> ===

The mansion that belonged to Dorr Felt, who invented (and got rich on)
the comptometer is now an event venue and has a small museum of
artifacts related to Felt and his company.  They might be interested in
it.  See <http://www.feltmansion.org/>.  I happened to stumble across
it recently, it's an interesting place.  I had never really known
anything about Dorr Felt before.

                Mike