GNT-4601 punch cable help

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Sun Feb 22 21:06:14 CST 2015

    Well, I finally got back to the GNT 4601, and I'm still unable to get
it to work correctly.  I'm using the following (null) cable, connected to
the DCE connector (the one on the corner):

DE9		DB25
--------------------
1		20
2		2
3		3
4		6,8
5		7
6		20
7		5
8		4

    On the GNT 4601, FDX, DC Codes Off.

    On the Linux side:

stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -a

speed 1200 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -ixon
-ixoff -iuclc -ixany imaxbel -iutf8
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
-echoprt echoctl echoke

    With these settings, nothing happens when I send chars to the punch
(cat > /dev/ttyS0).  If I turn RTS/CTS off (-crtscts), the punch runs and
chars are punched, although I'm certain not all of them.

    If I try and read a tape from the punch (cat /dev/ttyS0, press the Read
button on the punch), I get nothing on the Linux side.  The tape reads a
short burst every time I press Read, but nothing ever shows up on the
terminal.

    I'm beginning to the the 4601 has a problem, at least with the reader.
I've tried to duplicate a tape in Local mode, and nothing seems to be read
and nothing gets punched.

    Feeling very frustrated.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us