DEC handbooks at LA estate sale

Billy Pettit bpettitx at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 22:23:43 CST 2015

Jim,

This is actually an IBM Model B typewriter.  It is the older predecesor to
the Selectric.

And, it is a more reliable and easier to interface device for the enthusiast
to work with.  The key is finding an encoder/decoder on the underneath of
the keys.  As far as I know, only Soroban made these devices.  Judging from
the wires, I would guess that this typer has the Soroban (or equivalent
unit).

I already have one, badly in need of rubber replacements.  That is the
problem with older typewriters - the rubber breaks down into dry powder.
The model B has a power roller of rubber.  It has an individual trip cam for
each physical key, so loss of rubber means nothing works.

I'd guess that this one is from the mid-1960's or older!  (I spent many a
long hour trying to keep these machines running, in the late 60's.  Can't
say they are fond memories.  I do still have all the manuals, and Al has
copied most of them.)

It would be nice to have for the spares, but I don't think it is worth the
trip to purchase.  If you do go up, it would be worth $100-150 to me.  But
don't make the trip just for the typer.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

Billy