Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Mon Jan 12 03:28:09 CST 2015

On 1/11/2015 12:42 PM, Johannes Thelen wrote:
> I think these all Storage Hunters, Storage Wars and other Shit Collectors "reality" TV series, is what to blame here:
> "What is is?" "Looks like old door but it is just probably pile of shit!" "Man, you get AT LEAST 5000$ of it!"
> Oh, I can't wait episode when they find full IBM 360...
I was on an episode of storage wars this year and we did our best to
point out that the computers were not scrap and had value to
collectors.  I appraised a sale high, but have sale info to back it up.

I'm pretty sure the ones on Storage Hunters made no attempt to find
someone to actually appraise the find before they destroyed it. Storage
Wars did make a search.

I don't think the TV programs have anything to do with it, it is a lot
of Ebay dealers who are making at least the asking prices be astronomical.

I also did point out that the price I found was a current sale, and that
most sales were for a lower value.  And that the amount was more than
powdering the terminal and recovering the gold.  The gold value was
pointed out, but the intact value would frequently be higher.

What would you rather have things move for?  If they have no value
no-one will bother trying to preserve and sell them.