Weekly Classic Computer Trivia Question (20150112)

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Jan 12 12:57:32 CST 2015

On 2015-01-12 19:48, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
> From: Johnny Billquist: Monday, January 12, 2015 10:42 AM
>>>
>>> Exactly :-)
>>
>> But anything running constantly with the interrupts off should not be
>> in the "competition". As it's hardly called latency when you just
>> ignore the signal.
>
> What I've seen is systems that collect data with interrupts on, but do
> have to turn interrupts off when calling OS/8 services, or OS/8 will crash.
>
> AFAIK, all OS/8 services and drivers require this, even things like the
> RK05 driver.

Right. But it's not that things will crash in OS/8, but you will get
interrupts as a result of OS/8 operations, which you most probably do
not want, and might not even know how to deal with. And stealing the
completion of an operation through an interrupt might mean OS/8 never
notice that an operation completes.
So you will get OS/8 hangs, and your interrupt system will get
interrupts you never expected.

	Johnny