Recovering Win3.1 Data

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 13 14:32:58 CST 2015

In the mid-90's I had a Packard Bell computer that ran Windows for
workgroups 3.11.  The computer is long gone, but I saved the disk. It is
a 420 MB Conner.  I recently tried to recover the data by attaching it
to one of those IDE/SATA to USB devices and read it under Windows7,
didn't work.

I am able to copy files to floppy, but the stuff I want to save won't
fit on a floppy.

I put the disk in an old PC and it will boot to DOS, it tries to start
WIN3.1 but exits because of some missing sound card hardware.

What is the path of least resistance here?  Is linux any help?