Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Thu Jan 15 03:42:11 CST 2015

On 2015-01-15 06:59, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:01:55PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>
>> Nah. The problem is simpler than that. It all relates to the fact
>> that files under RSX are very different than under Unix. File in RSX
>> are organized in different ways. And virtual tapes are of variable
>> sized records. So, how would I communicate that across FTP? And the
>> actual length of those records?
>>

> Is there some kind of backup/archiving tool on rsx which you
> could wrap files and metadata in?
>
> Before transfer to bag-of-bytes systems?

Yes. I could certainly do that. However, that means someone would need
to write an unpacking tool from this format, and to then write some
"userful" output under a Unix system. But this would definitely be doable.

But it's not some kind of backup/archive tool that is needed. Any such
tool would have the same "problematic" output file.

But I've written a tool in the past that can encode binary files in a
text file format. Similar to uuencode/uudecode. And then you have a text
file which still preserves all the metadata of the original file.

	Johnny