Thin skins [Was: Restoration technique [Was: Re: Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000]]

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Thu Jan 15 12:24:19 CST 2015

It was written....
----
Look, I basically let this go yesterday night.
----
Apparently not.

----
All I did was (1) call out some specious hand-waving about how insecure Mediawiki is
----
As other listmembers pointed out, concerns about the security of Mediawiki are not "specious hand-waving". There are real issues there that have to be addressed. Not knowing that is probably considered by many to be "unusual".

-----
and my perceived implication in that statement that, by endorsing Mediawiki or administering a Mediawiki I am not a security-conscious admin
-----
See above.

-----
I know I wasn't the only one who found it a little bit over the top. Jay had many literary mechanisms available that he could have used to make his points; I found the ones he selected in particular to be offensive.
-----
I doubt that. But If you found it offensive, I would have appreciated an email off-list but I suspect you were more interested in public drama or concern that your "geekdom" (affectionate term, not a slam) was being challenged.

----
it's well within his rights to ask me to leave or kick of me off (neither have happened, so, hey, good sports, I guess).
----
Not yet anyways. This thread needs to die.

----
Last response from me regarding any of this nastiness from yesterday.
----
Yes, it is.

I would love to go into the reasons for the exact literary mechanisms I chose for my initial post in detail, but I will not (I did however, send those to Sean off-list, and will gladly share them with anyone who wishes - offlist). Most here that are long-timers I'm sure were able to read between the lines and unfortunately you could not. Suffice it to say that my post was based on custodial reasons, looking out for what was best for the hobby as much as is possible/reasonable. You made it personal, and it was not. Again, perhaps contacting the "offending" poster off-list to resolve amicably would have been better than public drama.

Let's kill this thread please.