HP tape drive novel repair

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue Jan 20 06:49:59 CST 2015

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, Marc Verdiell wrote:

>> From: "Jay West" <jwest at classiccmp.org>
>> And if you want to follow the build of the 2000/Access IO-rack (which holds
>> tape, terminal controller and bulkhead, and disk controller subsystem):
>> http://www.ezwind.net/hp2000/IO-Rack/
>
> "Nice rack", as they say. I have an HP 7970E and was wondering what to put
> it into. That is the right solution... I've seen in pictures that HP also
> had some special desk-like looking furniture to put the early 7970's in,
> with a slanted panel in which the tape drive would go. Never seen one of
> these in the flesh.
> Marc

    I have a 7970E in a 7971A rack, which can take two 7970E drives.  I
elected to mount a 2109E and a 9895A underneath the 7970E.

http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/VCF-East2014/G_IMG_3359.jpg

    I've also worked on a 7970E in the slanted "low boy" cabinet.  There's
a lot of wasted space in there.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/images/7970ETouched-37.jpg

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us