Releasing Cover Off of Nashua RL02 Pack?

Earl Evans earl at retrobits.com
Wed Jan 21 12:51:48 CST 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Lee Courtney <leec2124 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of Nashua brand third-party RL02 packs I'd like to remove
> the cover from, shown here:
>
> https://plus.google.com/photos/104239531634140817575/albums/6106851955753108865
>
> The DEC RL02 packs have a slider release on the handle that one can use to
> remove the bottom cover before inserting the pack in the RL02 drive.
> However, the Nashua packs are missing this mechanism, and just lifting the
> handle does not release the bottom cover. Any hints on how to release the
> bottom cover off these packs?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lee Courtney

Hi Lee,

Lifting the handle should work. I have the exact Nashua pack you show in
your picture, and just now verified that lifting the handle (without
pressing any other mechanism) does indeed release the bottom cover. It
appears to be a magnetic release, like the DEC-branded packs, but without
the requirement to slide a locking device.

Perhaps it's just a bit stuck?

- Earl