strange number corruption on pdp11/34

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Tue Jan 27 19:02:08 CST 2015

On 2015-01-28 01:34, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> Johnny, I just took the defaults, thinking that maybe the real value there
> (that was printing as zeroes) was intact.  In fact, the disk did run tests,
> blinking the ready light ferociously.  Then reported all zeroes back :\

That is weird. All the tests I can ever remember running under XXDP
actually presented the actual correct default values, or else I had to
put values in there. I have not ever seen 0 presented, and then not
actually used. But I cannot recall if I explicitly played with the RL
tests. But I know I've run the MSCP tests, which use the same diagnostic
supervisor code.

> In a stroke of sheer weirdness, it also managed to boot 2.9BSD from an
> rl02! It actually ran kind of normally.  Even got to multiuser mode and ran
> and compiled a hello world test program I typed in myself using vi!  Crazy,
> eh?

Yes.

> Per your recommendations, I'm going to try the small test programs with
> math here, shortly; thank you.

Please do. I would at least feel much better if you actually put in the
correct CSR and vectors...

Also, it would be very interesting to see the error logs from RSX if
things fail. Assuming you are booting from some other device, otherwise
the error logs might be hard to write when there is a failure. :-)

And the RSX errors logs are pretty good at telling you what kind of
problems you might have.

> Also, I grabbed a set of pdp11/34a boards from a dead (ps issues) machine.
> Can I plug them straight into this blackplane that's currently housing my
> misbehaving 11/34?  Backplane markings are very faded but seem to say
> dd11-pk.

I believe the backplane is the same, but maybe someone else could verify
that.

	Johnny