Tape Drive Capstans

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:52:48 CST 2015

On 01/29/2015 05:18 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 01/29/2015 02:30 PM, Mike Stein wrote:
>
>> Odd; the belts certainly stretch and often turn to goo, but I haven't
>> run across any melting rollers or idlers in my piles of consumer audio
>> and video stuff yet. Maybe just not old enough; I wonder if there's any
>> way to prevent or at least delay the deterioration it if it hasn't
>> started yet.
>
> I've got two Nakamichi cassette decks; both are the same model.  One has
> pinch rollers the consistency of modeling clay; the other is just fine.
> So mileage must certainly vary.

Yes, I've seen it in cassette decks, and also in a couple of 35mm slide
projectors (where there's a rubber drive wheel on the motor which engages
with the rest of the mechanism, or at least it would, if it hadn't turned
to goo)

I also had a pair of identical QIC drives where one roller was bad and the
other just fine.

cheers

Jules