Tape Drive Capstans

Ali cctalk at fahimi.net
Fri Jan 30 19:32:21 CST 2015

> On 01/30/2015 01:41 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
> > To add a recent experience of mine, I recently rebuilt a Cipher 540
> > QIC drive (in a Ridge32).
> >
> > The ID/OD of the capstan wheel on this drive is (roughly) 31/64" ID,
> 5/8"
> > OD (i.e. the inner diameter is JUST a shade under 1/2"), with a
> > thickness of 1/4".  I found some 3/32" thick square o-rings with a
> > 7/16" inner diameter and 5/8" outer for $0.10 each (from
> > http://www.theoringstore.com/) and I ordered a few -- the inner
> > diameter is a bit smaller than required, but I figured it'd just make
> > it stay on better (well, why not for the
> > price...)

Hi,

I am glad to hear this is (at least for now) working for you! The IBM 6157 is essentially a rebadged Cipher 540. As I mentioned elsewhere there was a source for replacement capstans on eBay until recently. I could not find the seller when I just looked. Assuming he no longer has good replacements this may be a way to maintain my 4x6157 and 3xCipher 540s!

Thanks.