seeking advice on moving PDP 11 and related gear

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Thu Jul 2 16:13:56 CDT 2015

On Thursday (07/02/2015 at 03:16PM -0400), Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Sean Caron
>
>     > I think there's a lot of good advice here
>
> Lots of good advice here; any chance we can capture it (and the rest in this
> thread) in a Wiki page? (Hint, hint... :-)

A tiny bit more advice,

Don't forget or loose the "third foot" that is at the bottom middle of
the rack and slides out toward the front to keep the rack from tipping
over once you have the 11/34 racked and slide it out to work on it.
The machine is plenty heavy enough to tip over even a rack that has two
RLs also installed in it.  It's an important safety feature.

I found the 11/34A too heavy to lift into position in my rack above the
one RL at the bottom by myself so I used "cribbing" to raise it a little
bit at a time.  I used 3' lengths of 2x2 pine, a large pile of them, and
lifted each side, front and back of the machine 2" at a time and slid
one 2x2 in each time I lifted it.  I kept lifting a little and raising
until the machine was almost exactly aligned with the rack slides in
the middle (of my "corporate rack") and then I slid the rack up to the
machine rather than other way around.  Worked like a charm and I never
had to lift that bad boy more than about 2".

I like being self-sufficient and not having to bug people when I want
to play with this gear so this was the poor man's option over purchasing
an engine hoist or a lot of steroids.

Chris
--
Chris Elmquist