out-of-mainstream minis

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:09:44 CDT 2015

On Jul 3, 2015 4:59 PM, "Johnny Billquist" <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:

> I find it hard to believe it was a plain 68K in there. That CPU have some
serious issues that makes it close to impossible to implement virtual
memory or proper usermode protection.
> (Yes, it can be done, but the amount of hardware required means most did
not. I think SUN did it with their own MMU, and an extra CPU in there.
Trying to remember who else - I seem to remember one other company who
actually used a plain 68K, and it was not Unisys.)

Apollo is the classic example of using plain 68K (two).