email gripe

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Tue Jul 7 19:37:04 CDT 2015

On Tuesday (07/07/2015 at 04:18PM -0700), Vincent Slyngstad wrote:

> For me, HTML mail is disdained because it's a security nightmare.
> I don't want to worry about transparent tracking images, cookies,
> javascript, and who knows what else they've invented or will invent.
>
> I just want to read what you've got to say.
>
> I might want to follow your link, if I have sufficient interest and
> trust, but I want to have to make that decision *before* entering
> the spy filled, all-singing, all-dancing hype arena.

Boy, count another vote against HTML-izing this list if that's what's
being considered.

I just want to read people's words.  Not execute programs that they send
to my inbox.

I don't want to use a graphical email client because they are huge
software pigs, slow and ridden with bugs and security holes and force me
to use far more computer horsepower just to support the GUI than should
ever be required to handle simple email.

I don't want to have to guess what they quoted because they colored that
blue and put their response in in pink and my HTML to text conversion
doesn't do colors.  Nor do I want to guess which text was in bold and
which was in italics because the conversion throws all that away too.

People get reduced to putting their initials in front of their inline
replies just so you can find the new text they wrote.

What would be the benefit to HTML-izing the list?

Chris
--
Chris Elmquist
I joined The ASCII Ribbon Campaign Against HTML Email!