OT: Re: email gripe

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Wed Jul 8 02:28:17 CDT 2015

From: jwsmobile: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 5:47 PM
> On 7/7/2015 4:18 PM, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
>> I might want to follow your link, if I have sufficient interest and
>> trust, but I want to have to make that decision *before* entering the
>> spy filled, all-singing, all-dancing hype arena.
>>
> I agree with this.  I am not aware of a useful reader of email which
> supports html that does not block offline content.  Thunderbird requires
> you hit a button to activate remote content.

I'm not aware of a "current" reader that won't let you configure
at least some security settings to play it safe.  But I'm aware of
many (especially web based ones) where the default settings
are not what I'd call safe.  And the basic objection is to a world
where I need to become an expert on what's "safe" just to read
my mail.

> I usually forward such to
> a yahoo or gmail account if I have doubts about the embedded content.

Not clear how that would help.

> What are you using which allows day zero type activation of any html
> content?  As I said, I don't use any web based readers or archivers for
> the reason you cite, but I've never had a problem with any content.

My phone does this, for example.  Though it is set up to block images,
it seems happy to run javascript and accept cookies whether I want it
to or not.

    Vince