VAX-11/750 registry (Was: Reviving a VAX-11/750)

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Wed Jul 8 16:56:50 CDT 2015

On 7/7/15 4:35 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-07-08 01:25, Antonio Carlini wrote:
>> On 07/07/15 23:06, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>>
>>> I honestly don't have a good idea of what defines a "large" VAX. Buses
>>> feels unsuitable. Power connector maybe? :-)
>>>
>> If the intention is to avoid a huge list then excluding MicroVAXes and
>> VAXstations should produce a list of VAXen
>> that you probably cannot easily simply carry home on the bus.
>>
>> That would unfortunately exclude the VAXstation 8000, which is pretty
>> rare AFAIK. It would also exclude the VAXstation I,
>> which I imagine is also relatively rare these days.
>>
>> I don't think you can easily come up with a simple set of criteria based
>> on power connectors or buses or similar.
>>
>> Perhaps "too big to hug" is what you really want :-)
>
> Yeah...
>
> Or maybe we should start by asking what would the purpose of the list
> be. Once that has bee figured out, I'm sure we can come up with some
> criteria, or explicit list of models to include...

My reason for doing a registry is to figure out who many are still out
there and provide a somewhat central location for owners to find other
owners. I have a non-running 750, so I figured that I would get some
benefit from this as well. I don't have time to track this list as much
as I would like, so I often miss 750 discussions that happen here.

alan