Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 12:54:45 CDT 2015

I suggest that this is really somewhere in between, but MUCH closer to
the "original design" than to "if you design a circuit for an FPGA".
After all, in an FPGA, the original SMS cards from the IBM 1400/7000
series would not be present - so in that sense, nothing is really taking
the original design - at the transistor/component level.

But I submit that making a set of rule-based changes to the original
design so that it will function in an FPGA really is capturing that
existing design.  (And nobody but you added the "schematic capture" part
of it - that is not, nor has never been, my plan).

The result should capture something pretty darn close to how the
original actually operated, which is the idea.

And, as far as that goes, the VHDL or Verilog version has not, in my
experience, required those modifications.  The modifications had to be
put in to ensure that the synthesis step produced something that has a
chance of actually running.

JRJ