PDP 11 gear finally moved

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 11:57:54 CDT 2015

On 07/17/2015 11:17 PM, tony duell wrote:
> On the other hand if the +5V line did get too high it could have wiped out
> just about every IC in the unit. Ouch!. I've only ever had this happen once, and
> it was in a much lesser machine than a PDP11 (fortunately).

Many years ago, I managed to feed +12V into an Acorn Atom which was
expecting +5V (the on-board regulators were bypassed to allow it to run
from an external regulated 5V PSU, rather than the usual unregulated +9V).

Amazingly, it survived - although it makes me wonder if the experience
dramatically reduced the lifespan of the TTL ICs though, even if they
didn't immediately show any failure.

cheers

Jules