moving cleanout - partial DECmate I / VT278

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 03:02:22 CDT 2015

what is condition of  the mod 100 trs 80? more concerned  abut visual  as
it  would  go in a tools of the journalist  over at the univ or if anyone
else has one they could toss in a box  and  send this  way. They were one of
the early "issued items" to  some reporters to  phone  home stories.  When
about it...  the  'tools of the journalist' throughout the ages makes  for a
pretty  interesting  display especially when you take in to account   print,
 radio and television.

the  dec may  be  to much  to box  and  mess  with  and I certainly  can't
make the road   trip although it  has to be better than our 104 degree
weather  here!

Ed# www.smecc.org

In a message dated 7/20/2015 12:22:27 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
hilpert at cs.ubc.ca writes:

On  2015-Jul-19, at 10:45 PM, couryhouse wrote:
> What are you going to do  with it?Looking. For a wt78 but.... this fell
in our lap....

While I  did expect DEC-anything would attract more interest, I was
figuring people  would have read my message from earlier in the day, here's the
extract/backgrounder:

So my house sold yesterday after  < 3 days on the market (the market here
is nuts).
I have  about two months to move, so a bunch of stuff has to disappear.

Location is the Vancouver, BC, Canada region (Port Moody more  precisely).
Most of this stuff is larger and I'm not going to  have a lot of time to
pack & ship, so local pickup is  expected.

If there is competition for something I guess  it goes to the one willing
to offer the greater number of bucks,
otherwise items are free as the alternative destination is  recycling/scrap.
Any bucks involved are not because I expect  a lot (or anything), but just
to sort out who 'values' it the most
if there is multiple interest in an item.
I reserve  the right to be whimsical in any decision.

At this point three  (distant) parties have inquired about this item.
No, I don't want to scrap  it, but I can't make promises for shipping
something this size at this  time.
If someone is "really interested" (you have the other bits for  example),
let me know.
Shipping just the CPU board may be another  option.

(There has been no interest in all the other stuff at this  point except
the TRS-80 M100 and a question about the  XT-clone.)

<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: Re: moving cleanout -  partial DECmate I / VT278
>
> Further to my earlier message  today, something else to go:
>
>     DECmate I / VT278  monitor & CPU
>
>     This is the VT100  monitor/housing with the 6120-PDP8-microproc-based
CPU board in one of the  logic slots.
>     Sadly, missing the keyboard and floppies  unit, so it's not complete.
>
>     IIRC, I faked a  keyboard-present signal at the keyboard-jack some
time ago and got it to  produce some boot text on the screen.

> See for example:   http://so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/decmateI/decmateI.php
>
> . . found  my notes about it from 2011:
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> DEC DECMate VT278-AC
>
> 1983
>
> System:
>
>     • LSI  PDP-8 in VT100 case.
>     • 6120 microprocessor (D1-6120-9  8)
>     • 6 * SIP memory modules w 4 chips each (21-17559-AA  / 8252 DP)
>     • 2 * 6402 (UART)
>     • 2 *  6121 (PIO)
>     • SND 5027 D (video controller)
>
> Pros & Cons:
>
>     • CON: Missing disk  drive.
>     • CON: Missing keyboard.
>
> 2011  Jul: Powered up. PWR-OK and CPU-OK LEDs lit, CRT filament lit. No
raster.  Schematic obtained from bitsavers. No video or sync signals from
processor  board to monitor board. CG CHAR CLK to CRT Controller chip is
present  (1.5MHz), but no sync signals out from CRT Controller. ROM, CPU, CRTC
socketed  chips rocked for contact, no change. CRT Controller may not be
getting  initialised in initial ROM boot process.

> Connecting ring  (data) to tip (+12V) on keyboard connector after
power-up brings up SET-UP  message and flashing cursor after several seconds.