Chromatics on ebay

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jul 23 22:27:02 CDT 2015

    > From: Josh Dersch

    > I spent some time debating that last night and this morning. Chalk it
    > up to me feeling charitable this week ... I thought I'd give the guy a
    > break.

Well, the question is, how important is this gear to you? If you've been
looking for one for a decade, that's different from if you just saw it and
said 'that looks cool'. If the latter, yeah, you can be quite charitable.

Which would mean, e.g. that you could agree to pass on enforcing the contract
if the seller agrees to immediately re-list the item in another open auction,
with a minimum reasonable reserve (I'd say $50, myself), and absolute
commitment to go through with the sale, no matter what. After all, an open
auction _is_ the current _real value_ for something.

And they should understand that if they persist in selecting 'local pickup
only', the value of the piece drops by about 75% - or more - it's cutting the
size of the pool of bidders by like 95% (LA area population / total US
population) by doing so.

	Noel