VMS EXCHANGE format for VAX console media

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sat Jun 6 02:20:47 CDT 2015

> I have a copy of an 11/730 console tape which I have been told is in EXCHANGE
> format as created by the CONSCOPY utility. Can any of the VMS experts here
> help this VMS noob learn how to translate that into a raw block-level image
> of the corresponding TU58 tape, which I might be able to use with a TU58
> emulator?

I've never actually used it but I thought CONSCOPY sounded familar from
somewhere.  I had a quick look on my VAX/VMS V5.5-2 system and found
SYS$UPDATE:CONSCOPY.COM.  It is probably to be found in the same place on
every other version of VAX/VMS.  Below are some comments from the top of the
file.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.

$ !  Copyright (c) 1987 Digital Equipment Corporation.  All rights reserved.
$ !
$ ! CONSCOPY -- Save or Restore a console medium
$ !
$ ! Inputs:
$ !     P1 - Kit type: 8600 or 8200 or 78x or 750 or 730
$ !     P2 - Function: SAVE or RESTORE
$ !     P3 - Files-11 virtual disk name
$ !     P4 - Console device drive
$ !     P5 - File to be written on the bootblock of the console medium.
$ !          Optional.  The defaults are:
$ !             8600- RT11FB.SYS
$ !             78x - CONSOL.SYS
$ !             8200- BOOT58.EXE
$ !             8300- BOOT58.EXE
$ !             750 - BOOT58.EXE
$ !             730 - BOOT.EXE
$ !
$ ! This program saves or restores a console medium.  It uses the native
$ ! mode utility EXCHANGE to copy and re-format files between a user medium
$ ! (Files-11 format) and a console medium (RT-11 format).