Rescue update: DEC RC-25s + / was Re: DEC cartridge ID

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Mon Jun 8 15:17:02 CDT 2015

Yeah, there were a few CDC drives like that ... I encountered a few "Hawk"
drives once on an old Alpha Micro  S-100 machine long ago; I believe it
was, five megs fixed, five megs removable?

The pack was about the size of a garbage can lid and I believe the unit
spun them up to around 2400 RPM or so ...

Those are the oldest, largest magnetic disk drives I have ever seen in
operation and it was very impressive to me at the time! So loud just
running and a very definitive "clunk" from the head assembly when it
started moving!

Best,

Sean