Front Panel Update

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jun 9 09:50:06 CDT 2015

    > From: Paul Koning

    > I remember a PDP11 (11/45 probably) at the University of Illinois,
    > ... The system was called ANTS (not sure what that stands for)

"ARPA Network Terminal System". According to RFC-597, Illinois had both an
11/20 and an 11/50 (11/45 variant) running ANTS; other sites also ran it on
an 11/40.

    > it had a custom logo panel for the top of the H960 racks, in red and
    > yellow, showing large ants crawling all along the cabinets.

That could have been a local thing. At MIT, the first MIT-built LISP
Machines, also housed in H960 racks, had custom logo panels reading "LISP
Machine", with an illustration of a LISP two-part cell, with pointers (to
other, un-shown, cells). I still have one... (the panel, not the CADR).

	Noel

PS: In a previous message, I wrote "KA-11"; I meant, of course, 'KA-10'.
Got -11's on the brain.. ;-)