ANTS (Was Re: Front Panel Update)

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:02:31 CDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> I’m not sure if that’s completely true.  I remember a PDP11 (11/45 probably) at the University of Illinois, around 1975.  It was used as a terminal controller for ARPAnet.  The system was called ANTS (not sure what that stands for), and it had a custom logo panel for the top of the H960 racks, in red and yellow, showing large ants crawling all along the cabinets.

ARPA Network Terminal System.  I've got an ANTS logo panel on the wall
at home.  I know I have some photos of it online but I'm not finding
them in the destruction wrought by Google on their old Picasa site.  I
remember the orange/red color combo made it really hard to photograph.
I'll dig them up later and post a follow-up.

There is some info on that system, as well as a lot of other PDP and
minicomputing goodness, here:

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/32601/semiannualtechni93slot.pdf?sequence=2