Pertec Tape Drive Interface Musings

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 10 11:18:14 CDT 2015

Another issue with SCSI tape interfaces are in the details.  Al has
pointed out the lack of data returned with error conditions.  There are
also niggling little differences between implementations that don't
exactly follow ANSI X3T10.  For example, is a tape mark considered a
block? I've got drives that go both ways--one says it isn't and so
doesn't increment the position (I'd call that an error) and other says
it is.

It's mostly the problem of adding another layer of someone's
interpretation to another older protocol and hoping for something
coherent to come out.

--Chuck