Madeirs (was 80 column (un)punched cards)

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Thu Jun 11 10:32:31 CDT 2015

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Dennis Boone wrote:

> The Limeliters covered it in the US in 1961, so apparently not. :)

Yes, but that was about five years after the Flanders and Swans LP and who
knows how long after they first performed it live.  I have never heard the
Limelighters version, up here in the Northern outpost of the British Empire
we got to listen to Flanders and Swann.

The American sensitivity may have been dulled by 1961 but I suspect that now
it is now as sharp as it ever was when Victoria sat on the throne so a cover
of this song today would meet a storm of outrage.  I heard the shocking tale
this morning of an enderly British scientist who will be going to his grave
in disgrace after saying that the problem with women in the lab is that "you
fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and they cry when you
criticize them".

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn