Collectors pay big money for old tech

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Jun 12 01:48:23 CDT 2015

The down side is that some historically significant artifacts will be
purchased by rich twits who will stick them in a closet or a display case.
The up side is that those same artifacts didn't go to the skip, as they did
all too often, all too recently.  And history demonstrates that they will
come back out of those closets (or garages, in the case of vintage
automobiles and motorcycles) and end up in the hands of preservationists.

We're seeing a tipping point where at least some people are beginning to
see the urgency of preserving our digital *hardware* legacy, even if profit
is the driver.  As I said, it's not going into a dumpster....  -- Ian

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."