Coating on older DEC slides

Chuck Guzis cclist at
Sat Jun 13 17:02:52 CDT 2015

On 06/13/2015 02:29 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
> Specifically molybdenum disulphide, sometimes called Molycoat. It is
> for lubrication on high load surfaces.

Will, I think you mean "Molykote", the trade name for the stuff.

But is that really it?  I've got a few pounds of dry moly disulfide here 
and it's nasty stuff--gets everywhere and is a black-silver in color. 
About as bad as graphite.  Gun people sometimes tumble their shells in 
it.  Don't ask how I know...

If this is a small job and you need a solid coating, have a look at some 
of the moly-teflon rattle-can gun coatings from Brownell.  You spray 
them on, then bake them.  The finish is very tough and pretty much 

I've got a few HP slides from a storage array and I'll swear they're 
just plain old electroplated zinc.


More information about the cctalk mailing list