First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 19:28:51 CDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:
> I figured out pre-initializing the tape by trial and error, but now I'm stuck at knowing how to respond when I get the OPCON request for another tape. The system drive has too much data for one tape, but at least I managed to make it through writing one tape.

Maybe this would apply here? I have never used this myself.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/documentation/pdf/OVMS_73_sysman1.PDF

OpenVMS System Manager’s Manual, Volume1: Essentials
Order Number: AA-PV5MF-TK

Managing Storage Media
9.8 Mounting Tape Volume Sets

9.8.2.4 Sending Messages Back to Users
After loading the continuation volume on the drive specified in the
mount request, mount the volume by entering the REPLY command with one
of the three qualifiers shown in Table 9–16. For more information
about these qualifiers, refer to the OpenVMS DCL Dictionary.

Table 9-16 REPLY Command Qualifiers for Continuation Volumes