First VAX-11/730 VMS Boot! (was: Re: VAX-11/730 %BOOT-F-Unexpected Machine Check)

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sun Jun 14 14:49:24 CDT 2015

On 2015-06-14 20:52, Mark J. Blair wrote:
> I have a DEC distribution panel and internal cable. The panel has a circuit breaker, a 15 pin D connector on the outer side for the transceiver, and another 15 pin D connector on the inner side for the internal cable between the DELUA card and the distribution panel.

Ok. Good.

> The back of the 730 chassis does not have an open slot for the Ethernet transceiver, as all of the other slots are already occupied. A bracket for the Ethernet bulkhead panel is screwed to one of the rack's rear panel brackets. Whoever routed the internal round cable before I got the machine did a less than perfect job, so it kept getting snagged when sliding the 730 chassis in and out. The cable jacket has many nicks, but they do not appear to penetrate the conductor jackets.

Ah. Yes, an extra mounting bracket was not that uncommon. Good if the
cable seems intact.

> I've just tried reinstalling it, and things aren't moving smoothly yet. I don't think that round cable behaves properly in the flat cable flex area, so next I will see if I can find a clean path between the card cage and a different area of the chassis where I can route it along the gantry that supports the power inlet cable. The round cable just doesn't route as cleanly as the original bundle of flat cables, so I'll need to fiddle and cuss until I get it working well.

While the round cable sometimes can cause different problems, I can't
say I've ever had any actual problems routing it in the end.

> Once I manage to route the internal cable, I'll plug in a DEC AUI cable to the bulkhead panel, and a DEC 10baseT transceiver, and see if I can get networking up.

Sounds good.

> The first time I started playing with VAXen as a student, there was generally a long AUI cable running to a vampire tap on thick yellow coax. Sometimes the coax was routed through the building, and occasionally there would be a vampire tap down in the stem tunnels with an AUI cable extending into a subbasement. I've never installed a vampire tap myself.

Long time ago... Lots of "fun". The vampire taps could sometimes be
tricky to get good connections on.

> Then a couple years later at a different university, most of the easily accessible wiring was thin coax, and 10baseT was still newfangled.

Those were fun times.

	Johnny