using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Jun 15 04:52:28 CDT 2015

While I agree that as long as things can be restored it's not a real
problem, I'm surprised that not more people consider it a serious overkill.

We're talking about putting in a rather complex computer to generate a
baud rate. Are people really that handicapped when it comes to building
hardware nowadays? Are people aware how easy baud generators are?
We're essentially talking about a clock, which can be found as a
component (various oscillators), and then dividing it. There used to be
chips around which did that part, and I would expect it to not be that
hard to find some if you looked today. Many UARTs even comes with a
clock divider built in.

And that is it. When I build various Z80 systems, I usually had a Z80
CTC included, which I used for generating the baud rates.

	Johnny