using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 08:35:19 CDT 2015

I don't think it is over kill. If you want over kill try this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXax3Gydl8

and FPGA implementation of the Baby or SSEM which had 32x32 bits of RAM. The implementation uses around 1% of the Spartan 3E 1200K gates, and that includes the logic to generate the VGA which is around 50% of the circuit. I expect to get it on a 100K gate chip but that’s still over-kill.

I am also aware how HARD baud rate generator chips are. Firstly you need to know the multiplier, and then you need a crystal that can easily be divided. I looked on E-Bay UK and the cheapest dedicated baud rate generator was 10x the price of a Arduino Nano. Then I would need a crystal and the other bits to make the generator. I would expect the chip count on a dedicated baud rate generator board to exceed that of the Nano. Of course it is not original, but an authentic board would only use SSI TTL and where would one find that easily.

I personally think it is an appropriate cludge that allows de-bugging to continue and gives you time to work out what the best long term solution would be.

Dave