Front Panel Tech Note 2

Noel Chiappa jnc at
Mon Jun 15 12:19:38 CDT 2015

    > From: Rod Smallwood

    > I can tell you what they were called internally at DEC.
    > ...
    > They were called Toggles or Toggle switches and their use was called
    > 'Toggling' hence 'To toggle in the bootstrap'

Maybe because on the older machines (e.g. PDP-1) they really were toggle

    > From: Kyle Owen

    > I hear them referred to as handles.

That would work.

Still, it would be nice to find a front panel mechanical drawing and see what
they are called on the BoM. (I tried to find one for the 11/20 front panel,
and although I found the tech manual for it, I couldn't the print set for the
front panel.)


More information about the cctalk mailing list