using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jun 15 12:24:31 CDT 2015

On 06/14/2015 12:41 PM, Simon Claessen wrote:
> as long as it is done in a way that it can be restored to its original,
> i have no problems in using newer technology in older machines. we have
> a alix sbc build into our tek 4002a for demonstrational purpouses, all
> done without damaging or altering the original machine.

I'm a bit more pragmatic.  Whatever it takes to get something running,
I'll do it.  For me, that's the entire point of having the old stuff
around.  Otherwise, a non-working box is scarcely better than any other
piece of antique e-waste.  If there's an accurate emulation available on
modern hardware, I'll use that rather than play with some old, cranky
piece of iron.

Others may certainly have different opinions.

--Chuck