Reviving a VAX-11/750

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:59:27 CDT 2015

In my efforts to understand the problem with the Cache/TB Diagnostics I
tried to run it under 11/750 simulator in SimH. It fails too!

ECKAL -- VAX 11/750 Cache/TB Diagnostic
HALT instruction, PC: 00002608 (MTPR #F,#26)

Although not the same location.

On the real machine:

@?ECKAL -- VAX 11/750 Cache/TB Diagnostic

00003488  06

Trying to disassemble at 3488 in SimH gives me:

EXTZV @-1D(R7),#0,#0,(R8)+

The EXTZV is supposed be "Extract Zero-Extended Field"

I have never done any VAX-11 assembly coding so this is very new ground for
me... As far as I understand the diagnostic starts at address 200. But then
understanding what it does without the listing... Well. A long journey for
me.

/Mattis