using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 06:16:09 CDT 2015

On 17 June 2015 at 05:09, Huw Davies <huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au> wrote:
> Funny I was discussing just this pair of planes last night - I last saw them fly in 1971 at RAF Shawbury. Of course they were both in active service then and I remember watching the Lightning do a supersonic pass with much joy.

Off topic for a moment but, do you know perchance what's going to
happen to XH558 at the end of this year? I've never had a chance to
see a flying Vulcan, and it's too bad I won't ever get to see one (nor
did I get to see the awesome display of both of he flight worthy
Lancasters flying together last year...).

> Getting a little closer to the topic at hand, eventually parts will no longer be available for older computers so the decision will have to be made to either retire them or use more modern components to keep them going. Somewhat ironically the ones that can be maintained in ‘original' condition for longer may be the mechanical ones where replacement parts could be fabricated whereas valves and SSI TTL may not be able to be economically produced.

The point you raise is comparable to the fact that we'vve basically
flown the life out of the last Avro Vulcan, meanwhile here in my home
town we're still managing to keep an Avro Lancaster flying after all
these years.

Also, I realize anyone can infer where I live based on the statements
in this e-mail, hah.

Cheers,
Christian
--