OT: learner kits (was: Re: using new technology on old machines)

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 08:14:23 CDT 2015

The pack recently mentioned was, I think 74LSxx TTL which is probably the
most common and should in most cases be capable of replacing standard TTL.
The other advantage of TTL is that is quicker. On the other hand CMOS is
more tolerant of supply voltage.

> But note that there are many chips that have more or less TTL interfaces
(TTL
> voltages, TTLish numbers, and in some cases switching
> thresholds) but are actually CMOS - the 74ALS series comes to mind.
>
> Of course, if someone somehow builds CMOS chips with TTL's ESD tolerance,
> short-circuit tolerance, etc, then great.  But that's not what I've seen.

Most modern CMOS is "BE" series and so have ESD protection.