Nopecraft - was Re: OT: learner kits

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Jun 20 17:07:08 CDT 2015

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 15:00, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So how do we make a 14 year old actually get interested in real world
> things as opposed to Minecraft? I think that old minicomputers would
> help get kids more interested in real world things, since the
> instruction set architecture of an '8, '11, or NOVA are much easier to
> work with then x86-64.

I think that will depend strongly on the individual kid in question, who might view the minicomputer either as a dusty obsolete boring thing, or a fascinating machine unlike anything (s)he presently takes for granted. If you have a kid and a minicomputer, and your kid shows any interest in that dusty old box, then run with it. If not, then find something else that catches their interest in a way that can trick them into learning to think creatively and solve problems. The end result is much more important than how you get there.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/