XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 00:16:11 CDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: XH558 - was Re: using new technology
etc

>> Don't forget Cromemco:
>
> I think we can forget Cromemco.
>
> The original poster wanted examples of minis
> "setup and used on one".
> I doubt a Cromemco would survive long in flight
> service. This is why I
> also pointed out "combat service", as opposed to
> being part of a test
> set in an air and power conditioned hangar.
>
> Military aircraft (and marine) service is
> *really* hard on equipment.
>
> --
> Will

----- Reply-----

Well, regarding marine service, from one of many
histories of Cromemco, e.g.:
http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/3-5-CROMEMCO.html

"The Z-2 line was the first commercially marketed
microcomputer certified for use by the U.S. Navy
for use aboard ships without major modification."

Memory's not what it used to be and I could be
misremembering, but I'm pretty certain that some
Z-2s were installed in military aircraft for data
collection (admittedly not in combat service);
ISTR one of those appearing on eBay a few years
ago, bristling with many-conductor cables and
military-style Cannon connectors.

I'll dig through the literature to see if I can
find an official reference.

m.