[RANT]False Beeprog. AGAIN.

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jun 23 12:00:30 CDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 09:32 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> But unless I misunderstood things, the software merely does a check if
> the hardware looks sane, and if not it displays a message saying that
> this is the wrong hardware, and it refuses to continue running.

You do misunderstand the situation.  Elnec has publicly stated that it
checks for one of the illegal clones and subsequently erases the NVRAM.
  This is independent of the owner's knowledge or lack thereof, that
he's got a bootleg copy.

The intent is clear, as is the public statement.  They're taking a gripe
they have with some Chinese bootleggers and depriving (stealing) the use
of your device because it isn't theirs.  That is, they've determined
that the device isn't legitimate and, as a result, disabled it--in lieu
of taking action against a hard-to-pin-down bootlegger.

And, as mentioned, FTDI tried the same approach and got burned badly.
All one needs is a hungry lawyer--class-action cases can pay off big.

--Chuck