Northtop Flying Wing, inflight computing / was Re: XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Robert Ollerton rollerton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 23:47:52 CDT 2015

>From memory, so please forgive a mistake or two:  The TB-49 Wings would Yaw
(side to side motion) while in flight, sometimes just enough to make the
crew seasick, sometimes enough to be dangerous when in formation with other
aircraft and always unable to stay on track to be a useful bomber.  I
recall someone saying the yaw was several wing spans in length in each
direction.  The autopilots of the time couldn't dampen it fast enough let
alone keep it under control.  Jack Northrup and his team knew they would
have to wait for something both programmable, more data inputs and faster.
there were about 4  or 6  piston engined, and 4 or 6 jet engine versions.
Stored on the ramp at Ontario California airport for many years and then
sold for salvage, I think in the late 60s or mid 70s.  Jack Northrup
continued to be enthusiastic about the tail-less design even in
retirement.  Much later, Jack was given a vip tour of the secret B2 factory
and presented with a model of the design in Lancaster CA before his
death.    Im pretty sure there is a book on this, perhaps from the
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.